Sunday 14 October 2007

Little Miss Sunshine

This is my first Movie Review and DVD Review. Movie Review first.

Little Miss Sunshine is a movie I myself would most probably not have chosen to watch. My coworker recommended it to me and even though we do have some different opinions, I usually can trust her advice about movies.

I just had bought enough DVDs so I didn't want to buy it for myself. Therefore, I bought it for a friend and lent to watch it myself. Nice friend I am.

But no more nagging and back to the movie.

Little Miss Sunshine is the movie about a six (?) year old overweight girl from a dysfunctional family. The grandpa is a drug addict, her brother has made a vow of silence, her gay uncle (from her mother's side) has unsuccessfully tried to commit suicide. Her father wants to promote his "Nine steps to success" with no success.

It is a road trip movie with some of the usual suspects. I would not call it a really great movie but it won two Oscars, Alan Arkin, the cocaine snorting grandpa won "Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role" and Michael Arndt won his for "Best Writing, Original Screenplay".

I liked the performance of Steve Carell best. He is staring in Evan Almighty, which I jet have not seen.

Even if I repeat myself. I'd give it an 8/10. Eight might be a bit high, but at least the ending is not as cheesy as I had feared.

***************

After I slept over my decision, I do not feel comfordable with 8/10 points. Therefore I reduce my verdict to 7/10 points.

***************

I review this version. I link to amazon even though I do not get paid for. Feel free to browse for the cheapest offer.

There is not much Bonus Content. There are three or four alternate endings, none of which are any good as well as an directors commentary (which I am not going to check out) as well as some trailers. The trailers you can not access from the menu. Why, I don't know. And there is also an Anti-Piracy trailer, which I do not want on my DVDs.

There is German and English Version 5.1 Dolby Digital, not that I heard a lot of Dolby nor 5.1. Not this type of movie. There are Turkish subtitles as well as German and English. That's about it.

For the DVD I'll give 3/10 points. There is so little reason you'd really want to own this DVD. And the Anti-Piracy trailer reduces the rating below 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment